Important Points About Rat Poisons and Their Effects

Last Updated on

For each family, their home is a place of strength and relaxation. We try to make it comfortable and safe for our relatives in many ways. And one day, you detect that unexpected guests have come to your house. Rats reproduce at an incredible rate, and you may not notice that there is already a whole pack of rat neighbors.

Obviously, you want to quickly get rid of rodents using the best rat poison. This method is really effective, and we will answer the main questions on how to use it properly.

The Main Types of Rat Poisons

A group of poisons that kill rodents is called rodenticides. These are the pesticides mixed with bait so that the rat wants to eat a piece. Manufacturers often use peanut butter as a supplement because rats like it. According to the principle of action on the rat organism, rodenticides are divided into several types.

  • Anticoagulants in this category deplete the rats of vitamin K and prevent the synthesis of new ones. As a result, the blood does not clot, and the rodent dies. If you gave less poison than indicated in the instructions, or the rat only ate a small piece, it might not die immediately. Depending on the amount of poison, it may die the next day. Otherwise, the rodent will suffer terrible symptoms for several days. This is an inhumane poison but quite popular. Why did it happen? The fact is that people and animals, due to non-compliance with precautionary measures, also suffer from poisoning with anticoagulants. After all, we are all mammals. And from this type of poison, there is a treatment for people and their pets. The most popular anticoagulant poison used to deplete vitamin K is bromadioloneIndandione and hydroxycoumarin also belong to the group of anticoagulants, but they act in a slightly different way. They injure the walls of blood vessels, which leads to internal bleeding.
  • Calciferol works by increasing the vitamin D level in a rat’s body. Symptoms of such exposure are damage to vital organs (stomach, heart, lungs, blood vessels). The poison is fatal within a day of ingestion. Many popular rodent poisons use a combination of calciferol and an anticoagulant.
  • Phosphide rat poison is made of zinc phosphide and works by reacting with stomach acid. As a result of this reaction, phosphine gas is formed, which is deadly for the rat’s body. A license is required to purchase this rodenticide. When using this type of poison, you should be extremely careful, as there is no antidote for humans. The consequences of accidental use can be severe. The advantage is that if your cat eats a dead rat, he will not get secondary poisoning, as is the case with anticoagulants. Still, this poison should not be used in the home.
  • Strychnine. This kind of poison is notorious. It is not popular, but is still sometimes used by professionals to get rid of rats. It is unlikely that you will find strychnine for sale. However, if it somehow gets to you, do not use it under any circumstances! The consequences of using can be fatal not only for rodents but also for you, your pets, and the environment. Strychnine is incredibly toxic. It causes many severe symptoms, from convulsions to suffocation. You can get poisoned not only by swallowing: strychnine affects the body when inhaled and absorbed through the mucous membranes and skin.

There are many variations and combinations of different poisons for home or professional use. Here, only the main types were described. In any case, you need to be careful when using them and think of professionals to do that for you. But if you have decided to cope with it by yourself, be careful.

How to Use Rat Poisons Properly

  1. Read the instructions, even if you have previously used a similar type of poison. The dosage may vary, and instead of killing the rats instantly, the poison will cause a series of agonizing symptoms over the course of a few days. You want to get rid of rats, not mock them.
  2. Use poison in combination with traps. This will effectively get rid of rats in a short period of time. It also reduces the likelihood that the rat will die somewhere deep in your house in a hard-to-reach place.
  3. Lay out the poison preferably in those places where you notice traces of the presence of rodents (for example, droppings).
  4. Don’t place poison pellets only in the house. Rats come from the street and may use your home as a place to get food. Before spreading poison in the backyard, make sure the blocks don’t get soaked in the rain. Many options contain wax, which prevents them from softening in case of water ingress.
  5. Hide all food. If a rat sees a piece of apple or dog food on the floor, and has access to your food lockers, he is unlikely to want to try poison baits.
  6. Keep everyone in your home safe. If you have children and pets living with you, be sure to place the poison in places where they can’t get it. You can hide poison in pipes, boxes with holes, containers, or special traps. Use non-toxic types of poison that will not cause serious poisoning if inhaled or consumed by your family.
  7. Use gloves when placing the poison. Even types of it that are non-toxic to humans can irritate when in contact with the skin.
  8. Watch your health. If you or your relatives experience difficulty breathing, nosebleeds, vomiting, or other serious symptoms, see your doctor immediately. Rats can carry some poison on their paws before they die. You could be in contact with the poison and not know about it. To prevent such occurrences, clean your house more often than usual during rat control. Wash floors and all interior elements with plenty of water if possible.

A rat infestation is a difficult challenge for everyone. Follow all precautions and my advice when getting rid of rodents, and then you will effectively kill them and return the usual comfort and tranquility to your home. What is your opinion about using poisons to get rid of rats?