Last Updated on
Back pain, a feeling of tightness in the thoracic region, problems with joints – all this significantly reduces the quality of life and requires treatment and prevention. One of the ways to alleviate your condition is to purchase a specialized orthopedic mattress. Fortunately, now you can easily buy the model you want with the features you want.
Back pain, a feeling of tightness in the thoracic region, problems with joints – all this significantly reduces the quality of life and requires treatment and prevention. One of the ways to alleviate your condition is to purchase a specialized orthopedic mattress. Fortunately, now you can easily buy the model you want with the features you want. This article will discuss which model is better to choose for organizing a sleeping place for people who complain of back pain.
Orthopedic mattress device
All orthopedic mattresses are divided into two large groups.
- Spring loaded. These products may vary. Some use a continuous weave of springs (Bonnel). Other products have independent blocks, where each element is placed in a special fabric cover.
- The main element is a monolithic block or “cake” of alternating layers of material. The filler can be:
- polyurethane foam,
- merino wool,
- artificial and natural latex,
- coira and many others.
Consider the fact that, regardless of the type and device of the mattress, they are equally effective in performing their orthopedic functions. When buying, also pay attention to the sides of the mattress. There are one- and two-sided models. The latter may have a different stiffness of the top layer, which will allow it to be turned over at will. There are also two-sided winter-summer models, when one side keeps heat, and the other, on the contrary, removes it.
How to choose the firmness of the mattress?
In order to choose the right product, you need to know the nature of back pain. Unfortunately, there is a widespread belief that a firm mattress is the best solution for a sore back. This statement is fundamentally wrong, and often dangerous. The hard surface does not adjust to the natural curves of the spine, which can lead to a number of complications and further aggravate the situation. A too soft mattress is no less harmful. If it flexes during sleep, creating the effect of a hammock, the muscles cannot relax, there is an additional load on the joints, possibly even a violation of blood circulation in the soft tissues. The optimal mattress for a sore back is neither too soft nor too hard, ensuring a physiologically correct body position. It is best to give preference to orthopedic models.
Features of mattress selection
- Back pain tends to worsen in the evening. It is better to postpone the selection of a mattress for this time. Thanks to this simple technique, you can choose the most convenient model.
- Take your time with the choice. Feel free to lie on the mattress for the required amount of time. This will allow you to feel all pressure points, if any. Or, conversely, realize that the body sags on too soft a surface.
- Don’t focus only on your back. The mattress should also support the head, hips and feet in the correct position.
- Take along the pillow you used to sleep on. This will allow you to accurately assess the level of comfort of each specific model.
Types of mattresses for back problems
As we already said, before purchasing a mattress, it is worth identifying the cause of the pain. Not all back pain is caused by disease. It can be trivial fatigue or excessive physical activity. A high-quality, correctly selected mattress will relieve you of this ailment. However, if discomfort is caused by problems with the spine, when choosing, one should focus not only on personal feelings, but also on the recommendations of doctors.
- Pain in the cervical and lumbar spine. Often this problem is associated with an incorrectly selected mattress. Because of this, during sleep, the back and neck of a person are in an unnatural position. In such cases, a medium firm mattress with coconut fiber filling is recommended.
- Curvature of the spine is a dangerous disease that can lead to rather sad consequences. Don’t underestimate the problem. In the case of curvature, soft mattresses are strictly contraindicated. The ideal solution is a medium firm mattress with independent springs that bend only in the place where the bulk of the body is located. The filler depends on the stage and course of the disease. In the early stages, a latex-filled or coconut-based model is fine. Stage 3 and 4 scoliosis involves the use of a coconut fiber mattress with a resilient latex layer on the surface.
- Pinched nerves. In this case, the hard surface will cause additional tension in the back, which will further increase the painful sensations. In such cases, double-sided mattresses are recommended, soft on one side and medium firm on the other. This structure will reduce the pressure on the back. The optimal material is artificial latex or coconut fiber.
- In case of illness, it is necessary to ensure a comfortable and natural position of the back, which completely eliminates stress on the muscles. Soft mattresses are categorically contraindicated. Optimal is a product with independent springs, equipped with an intermediate layer of special polyurethane foam.
- With radiculitis, a hard mattress is contraindicated. Merino wool is considered a suitable filler in this case. It provides an orthopedically correct position, reliably retains heat and produces micro-massage of the back.
Health is an invaluable gift visit here to find the better options: https://thesleepshopinc.com/best-mattress-for-neck-pain/ . If you experience back pain, we strongly recommend visiting a doctor to determine the cause of the discomfort.